Pages

Saturday 19 March 2011

Borough Market, Foodie Paradise

Its all about food here. And I'm really not that into food. Well, that was quite a bold statement. I love to eat, naturally, but I don't cook. I've been living off yogurt and muesli since I moved to London. Until I discovered Borough Market.  I've never been this excited over food. The best part is you can try everything, and you can learn so much if you ask, everyones willing to teach you about their craft - whether its wine, olive oil, bread, cheese, fish...

You can't understand what its all about unless you visit, but I will try to give you an idea. Lets begin.

Depending on which way you arrive at the cavernous like market, you will be engulfed in a number of  aromas. Some pleasant, some not so much.  Fish heads anyone?
 It gets quite chilly in there. Approach the nearest vendor selling mulled wine. I went back for seconds, and then thirds. It was a good day.
Theres nothing like a pig head on display to make you want to buy some ham. Who doesn't love having their dinner stare them in the eyes?
 Or how about various pig limbs. Mmm, limbs. 
Marco and friend from The Olive Company were just wonderful.  Just a little forewarning: eating all of your olives in one sitting is bad for your health.
This lady tried to convince me there is seven different flavours of Croatian olive oil. So she let me try them all. She was right. Let the sampling begin. 
And then there's an overwhelming amount of cute vendor boys. I can't help but buy what their offering me. This one forced me to sample cheese, and then proceeded to make me purchase it, so domineering. 
And everything is so visually pleasing that they fool me into thinking I want, I need, to buy goose fat. Those tricksters. Side note: I didn't actually purchase goose fat, but I was thinking about it - such a deal.  

A word of advise: Avoid this market if you are attempting to lose weight, or are trying to save your pennies. Because you will most likely purchase all the above foods, while justifying to yourself that you will eat in moderation. You won't. 



No comments:

Post a Comment